Intern Experience Arpan Ghosal


Intern Experiences Summer 2018

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany

Arpan Ghosal

Process of securing the intern:

IAF

What was I working on?

Implementing Deep Learning to understand and track decays in Belle II experiment

Workload:

The workload is like any other job, 9-5 (flexible) every weekday. Understanding of preliminary particle physics and machine learning is important. Most of my work is using python (jupyter notebook) and the BASF2 software(Belle II's dataframework). I also use CLion. In python, apart from numpy and matplotlib, I use tensorflow and pandas to name a few.

Courses that helped me:

I had to take some online courses on Machine Learning (though I was never able to complete them, given to the immense pressure of IIT's core courses themselves). IIT's programming lab for python helped me a lot though.

What did I learn during the internship?

Cooking food (though charring is still common), a bit of Deutsch for day- to- day conversation, a plethora of knowledge about German culture and etiquettes, A heck lot of machine learning stuff, along with some basic QED and particle physics.


Places that you visited during the intern/ activities that you did

Heidelberg castle, Wilhelma zoo and city palace in Stuttgart, Paris, and explored Karlsruhe as well.

Contact details: 

arpan.ghl1995@gmail.com; 9953101698

Comments