Intern Experience Rahul Dandwate ICTS


Intern Experiences Summer 2018

International Centre for Theoretical Sciences, Bangalore

Rahul Dandwate

Process of securing the intern:

They have a summer internship program, whose application deadline is in mid-January. The application requires a SOP., 2 recommendation letters, and resume.

What was I working on?

I was working on Conformal Field Theory (CFT). The big picture of my project is to understand the fluid behavior of CFTs. This project is motivated by the AdS/CFT correspondence, in this case it states that black hole in AdS (Anti-de Sitter) space are related to CFTs. The black holes in AdS space have fluid behavior, and hence we also expect this in CFTs.

Workload:

My work required some basic understanding of relativistic quantum field theory, quantum field theory, conformal field theory, and statistical mechanics. My work involved doing some calculation on Mathematica software.

Courses that helped me:

Quantum Mechanics (1,2,3), Statistical Mechanics.

What did I learn during the internship?

Lot of seminars, guest lectures and conferences were held at my institute during my stay there, I got to learn a lot for them. I expected to do some research work and not just read something over the course of two months. Yes, my internship experience did meet my expectations.

Contact details: 

rahul02013@gmail.com / 9669966690.

Comments

  1. Hi,
    Is it necessary to know Quantum Field Theory beforehand to get an internship in Ads/CFT correspondence? Or can one work on it without having a solid mathematical background in QFT?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment