Intern Experience - Nived

Summer Intern Experience 2018 -  Nived

CENSE IISc Bangalore

Process of securing the intern 

Apping. CENSE (Centre for Nanoscience Engineering) offers an internship program for UG students (you can find out more on their website). They give accommodation and some nominal stipend. But I didn't know about this, so the Prof told me that I'll have to look for my own accommodation etc.

What were you working on?

I was working on Metal Oxide Semiconductor Nanosensors. The project was mainly funded by an organization that wanted indigenous gas sensors to detect gas leakage and sense concentration of the gas. (The current sensors that they use aren't very accurate and need to be replaced every month, on top of being imported). There were some other organisations too that wanted to use these sensors in healthcare ( for breath analysing etc) and air quality monitoring. The work including characterization, testing of devices, interfacing different units to automate data logging and control, development of algorithms to predict accurate gas concentration and many other random things


Workload and tools used

I worked from Monday to Friday (weekends were off, except for a couple of times). I'd reach there by 10 AM in the morning and leave anywhere between 5:00 to 8:00 depending on the work.

I got to work on many different things, in the process using many familiar softwares, including python, matlab, Arduino IDE, Origin etc. I also used CasaXPS, Spectrum to analyse the characterization data of the sensing material. I worked with different instruments like SMU, Temperature Humidity chamber, 3D printer, MFC, FLIR...
Semiconductor physics and basic Data Analysis proved to be useful tools


Courses that were relevant

Basic Semiconductor Physics, Thermal Physics, Data analysis and interpretation, CS101, CS213

What did you learn during the internship?
I got a chance to see how research gets transformed into technology, and saw how it's not as easy as it appears to be

What are the places that you visited?

Just the normal places in Bangalore

Contact details



nivedk1998@gmail.com

Comments